NSS Activities (2009-10)
Our N.S.S. unit has three units and 300 volunteers enrolled in the academic year 2009-10. Most of the activities were conducted in the adopted area i.e. Turbhe village, Vashigaon and Juhugaon.
1) Street Play on Antiplastic : CIDCO and NGO of Navi Mumbai organized street play of Antiplastic on 3rd July 2009. Our 50 N.S.S. volunteers attended the programme which was held in our Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil College, Vashi, Navi Mumbai.
2) Celebration of the 'World Population Day’: The World Population Day was celebrated by our N.S.S. volunteers on 11th July 2009. Hon. Dr. Das Faculty from IIPS, Deonar, Mumbai delivered lecture on “Population Policy in India”. 300 N.S.S. and Non N.S. students of the college benefited from the lectureand the question-answer session.
3) Orientation: 12th July, 2009, the orientation of the students was conducted by programme officers, committee members and Prin. Dr. A. S. Burungale. Many students raised the questions related to N.S.S. and they were answered by POs.
4) University Activity: On 11th July 2009 four volunteers attended the Vasundhara and Kanya Bachav programme at Rangayathan, Thane, organised by University.
5) Tree Plantation: Our 100 N.S.S. Volunteers participated in tree plantation organized by NMMC in Vashi city. Hon'ble Ganeshji Naik in the inaugural speech sought to make awareness about clean environment and planted 500 saplings in Palm Beech Road area of Vashi, Navi Mumbai.
6) Work as 'Police Mitra’: Our N.S.S. Volunteers worked as Police Mitra during Ganesh festival under the supervision of Vashi Police Station. They helped police department to maintain the discipline and peace during those days.
7) "Teacher Day" Celebration: Our N.S.S. Volunteers celebrated a Teacher’s Day on 5th Sept. 2009 by giving flowers. On this occasion we organized a guest lecture by Hon'ble Shri. Chimanbhai Singhavi, an eminent personality from Navi Mumbai.
8) Pre NRD and SRD parade: Two second year N.S.S. Volunteers (1 boy + 1 girl) joined the meeting and training for NRD and SRD parade at Somaiya College, Ghatkopar on 10th Sept. 2009. One female N.S.S. Volunteer Miss Arti Navgahane was selected for training.
9) Mahila Health Check up Camp :On the occasion of Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil Jayanti, National Service Scheme and Extension Activity Services of our college jointly organized General Medical Health Check-up, Dental and Skin Check-up camp for scrap picker Mahila and poor people from adopted area like Turbhe, Vashigaon, Juhugaon, Karave, Nerul and Ghansoli, in Navi Mumbai.
10) Organisation of 'Blood Donation and Blood Group Detection Camp’: Blood Donation Camp was organized on 18th Sept 2009. Hon'ble Sunil Bajare, ACP, ACB, Mumbai inaugurated the camp. Mr. Bhalchandra Nalavade, Presided the inaugural function. 85 bags of blood was collected. The Navi Mumbai Municipal Hospital and Navi Mumbai Blood Bank cooperated in the conduct of the camp.
11) Karmaveer Marathon: On the occasion of our founder Dr. Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil Jayanti, College organized 'Marathon' on 20th Sept. 2009 to create awareness about quality education, environment protection and health awareness in the Vashi city. 200 N.S.S. volunteer participated in marathon.
12) College Campus Cleaning: Campus Cleaning Activity was conducted on 24th Sept. 2009. About 240 volunteers cleaned the college garden and campus.
13) Gandhi Jayanti Celebration: On the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti on 2nd Oct. 2009 a rally was organized on the theme “International Nonviolence and Peace” in Vashi City. 230 volunteers participated to create awareness about Nonviolence among people.
14) University Activity on International Nonviolence and Peace: 10 Volunteers participated in rally organized by N.S.S. department, University of Mumbai from Churchgate to Fort, University of Mumbai.
15) Participation in Leadership Training Camp: Two boys and one girl volunteer of our N.S.S. Units participated in Leadership Training Camp held at Mangaon Dist - Raigad, during the period 21.10.2009 to 24.10.2009. Programme Officer Dr. L. V. Gavali also visited the LTP camp for two days.
16) BGO: On 31st Oct. 2009, N.S.S. Volunteers participated as volunteer in the Marathi Sahittya Mandal’s program at Vishnudas Bhave Nattya Graha, Vashi in which Mr. Sudhir Gadgil interviewed Dr. Prakash Amte and Dr. Mrs. Mandatai Amte for their social work.
17) Energy Save and Water Conservation: N.S.S. Volunteers sent 10 posters for the competition on Save Energy and Water Conservation for University activity.
18) Vigilance Awareness: On occasion of Vigilance Awareness week N.S.S. unit and CBI, ACB, Mumbai jointly organized a lecture on 6th Nov. 2009 in college campus, 150 students attended the lecture.
19) College campus cleaning: 215 N.S.S. volunteers conducted campus cleaning activity on 18th Nov. 2009.
20) Peace Rally : Ten volunteers participated in the University’s Peace Rally at Dadar on 24th Nov. 2009.
21) World AIDS Awareness Day celebration: on1st Dec. 2009, 213 volunteers tied red ribbon to 2000 students and teachers of the College to create awareness about AIDS..
22) Youth Survey: 221 volunteers and students filled up Youth Survey form and submitted to University.
23) National Level Camp: N.S.S. Volunteer Miss Sayali Sonandkar has attended the national level camp at Gwalher.
24) Disaster Workshop: 15 volunteers attended the workshop on Disaster management on 3rd and 4th Jan. 2010 at Belapur, Navi Mumbai which was organized by Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation.
25) Celebration of Republic Day: We celebrated the Republic day on 26th Jan. 2010. In all 216 N.S.S. Volunteers were present for Flag hoisting ceremony. On occasion of Republic day we organized poem and patriotic songs competition.
26) Yuva Uthkarsha: Four Volunteers were sent to Wadala (Naigaon) Mumbai to attend programme on Yuva Uthkarsha organized by University.
27) Seminar on AIDS: Two volunteers attended seminar on AIDS at Vaze College, Mulund, Dist. Thane.
28) Gram Swachhata Abhiyan at Vashigaon : On 31st Jan. 2010 Gram Swachhata Abhiyan was conducted at adopted area Vashigaon. Total 200 N.S.S. Volunteers and some residents of Vashigaon participated in the Abhiyan. Volunteers gave slogans at this time. Cleaning activity was also conducted in adopted area for awareness on Gram Swachhata.
Dr. L. V. Gavali
N.S.S. Programme Officer
N.S.S Residential Camp 2009
N.S.S Unit of the K.B.P. College Vashi organised seven days residential camp during 18-24 December 2009 at Nawali, Thane. In all 150 NSS volunteers, eight- non NSS volunteers, 4 Faculty Members and 1 non teaching staff participated in the N.S.S. camp. The theme of the N.S.S camp was education and literacy including legal awareness
Hon. Shashikant Birajdar Deputy Mayor, Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation was the chief guest for the inaugural function at Devatma Shakti Society Ashram, Nawali. Hon. Principal Bhor presided over this function. Dr. L.V.Gavali introduced the guests. Principal Dr. Arvind Burungale welcomed the guests. Hon. Harishandra Mukadam, social worker Nawali and citizens of Nawali and Dahisar, Vice Principal and staff were present for this function. In his speech Hon. Birajdar stressed on the challenges of globalization including global warming and advised the students to be part of the society through their valuable services.The function concluded with vote of thanks by Prof. B.S Chiprikar.
Vishesh Shram Sanskar.(Shramdan)
The NSS volunteers cleaned the drainage in Navali Gaon by continuously working for three days and this helped the easy flow of water. Apart from this they also undertook repair of the roads. This instilled dignity of labor in the minds of NSS volunteers and citizens.
Cancer Awareness Programme
Cancer awareness programme was organized on 20/12/2009 for the benefit of students and female residents of Nawali and surrounding area Dr. Padma and Dr. Manisha from Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel(Mumbai) gave power point presentation and speech on the cancer awareness and 200 female residents and N.S.S. volunteers took benefit of this lecture.
Mahila Melawa was conducted on 20th December 2009 to make awareness about rights, injustice, health and social problems among females of rural area. Hon. Mrs.Anjanitai Bhoir, Mayor, NMMC was the chief guest and Hon. Mrs. Madhvi Shinde, Chairman Children Welfare Committee presided the function.
Guest Lectures for volunteers and villagers
1. Shri. Chetan Vilas Swami, Ashram Nawali spoke on “Role of mental balance in personality development.
2. Dr.Padma and Dr.Manisha,Tata Memorial Hospital,Parel,Mumbai spoke on “Cancer disease awareness among Females”.
3. Mr.Mansukhlal Amritlal Modi, Advocate High Court, Mumbai spoke on Legal Awareness.
4. Mrs.Anuradha Karegar,Sanvedan Sanstha,Mumbai spoke on “Aids Awareness Programme”
5. Hon.Shri.Ganesh Chabukswhar, Dy.Commissioner,Navi Mumbai, Municipal Corporation spoke on “Village cleanliness and public health”.
Group discussions and debates on burning issues like “Love marriage or arranged marriage”, “Global warming & Environment”, “Science: blessing or curse” and “Small or joint families” were conducted. Every day after dinner at 9.00p.m cultural programs like singing, street plays and one act plays were presented by the students highlighting alcoholism, corruption, etc.
Hon. Mr. Shahaji Narnawar, Forest officer, Forest department, Thane was the chief guest for the valedictory function on 24th December 2009. Hon. Shri. Arunseth Bhagat, President, Janardhan Bhagat Shikshan Sanstha, New Panvel, presided over the function. Chief guest Hon. Shahaji Narnawar stressed on environmental issues and appealed the contribution of students towards environment protection. Both guests and president of valedictory function praised the work and activities done by the N.S.S. students. Dr.P.G.Pawar presented the review of the seven days camp. Dr. Arvind Burungale, Principal welcomed the guests and Dr. L.V. Gavali proposed the vote of thanks.
I sincerely appreciate all the help rendered by programme officers, committee members and encouragement by the Principal, Dr. Arvind Burungale throughout the year which made the camp a success.